Arkansas SkyDome Portable Planetarium and Science Museum
|Astronomy Night Program:
Help your scouts get their Astronomy Badge!
Scouts, parents and siblings are invited to share an evening under the stars.
The program we choose will be tailored to your needs, circumstances and group size. For small to moderate sized groups with access to a suitable indoor area, we can setup the SkyDome for tours of the night sky in the portable planetarium. For larger groups with access to a building, we begin indoors with an interactive presentation on what’s visible in the night sky, current events, and telescope use. We bring our traveling exhibits and NASA memorabilia for the scouts and their families to explore.
Then or if an indoor area is not available, weather permitting, telescopes are setup outside to view the Moon, planets and other celestial wonders. The host also helps students to identify and find their way around the sky. They’ll hear stories of the constellations, interesting facts about the night sky, and of course how to find north using stars so they’ll always be prepared!
Note: To give everyone ample time to enjoy the telescopes we recommend a maximum of ~ 100 people per evening.
Program Time: 1-2 hours
- Program Fee: $50
- Travel Fee: No Fee for the first 50 miles from Greenbrier, AR. – $0.50 / mile for each mile beyond 50.
Estimate fee by calculating distance from your school to Greenbrier and subtract 50. For example Greenbrier to Ft. Smith is 135 miles. 135-50 = 85. Estimate: $85 ($.50 / mile there + $.50 / mile back = $1 round trip / mile)
Unless other arrangements are made, program fee due on the date of the programs.
For the SkyDome
- Maximum capacity per show 25 people.
- Supervising adult must be present during each show.
- Organization assumes responsibility for damage to equipment / exhibits caused by participants beyond normal wear and tear.
- Indoor room (Gym, Cafeteria, etc.) Minimum floor space: 30 feet by 30 feet
- Minimum ceiling height: 12 feet with no obstructions (light fixtures, etc.)
- 2 grounded 120-volt standard electrical outlets.
- Clean, swept floor.
- Easy access to parking to load / unload equipment
- ~30 minute setup / take down time
Schedule A Program
For more information or to schedule a program contact Stephen, program host, at:email@example.com or 501.314.9250
Please schedule at least two weeks in advance. We can also help you pick a date based upon upcoming events or moon phase.